|Box 2300 News Updates- January 2018|
|By Associate Member Jessica Harlow|
|January 11, 2018|
In the month of December 2017, the OVFC responded to 75 calls. Of those calls, 21 were EMS/Lift Assist, 13 were Structure Fires, 11 were Auto Accidents, and 11 were Alarm Activations. OVFC ran a total of 773 calls during 2017. Volunteers put in a collective 80.5 hours of in station training the month of December.
Carbon monoxide (CO), often called the invisible killer, is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. Heating mechanisms, cooking equipment, and vehicles or generators in attached garages are all potential sources for carbon monoxide. CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside of each sleeping area and on every level of the home, following the manufactures instructions for placement and mounting height. Being in the height of our winter season, OVFC would like to remind you of a few carbon monoxide safety tips; when warming up your car, immediately remove it from the garage after starting, and ensure your exhaust pipe is not covered in snow. In addition to removing running cars from garages, never run any fueled engine or motor in the garage, even if your garage doors are open. Also, ensure during a snow storm your vents for your dryer, furnace, stove, and fire place are clear of snow. Last, make sure generators are used in a well ventilated outdoor location, away from windows, doors, and vent openings.
OVFC would like to thank Little Richards and Sheetz for their generous donations of breakfast items for our firefighters while fighting a structure fire on the morning of December 3.
Be sure to check us out on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook found under Orange Volunteer Fire Company.